Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The world's best Lemon Squares

Okay, so I'm making the best lemon bars you will ever eat...you start by making the lemon curd. Which I was going to purchase because I have a very busy couple of days and I was hoping to cut out a step. But, since I forgot to buy the lemon curd and I live 1 1/2 hours from the closest place to purchase it, I had to take the time to make it. Here is the recipe I used. I'll be back to tell you about the rest of the lemon bars...off to do some laundry and start dinner...I think I'm making Ravioli w/a creamy marinara sauce, salad and bread.

Lemon Curd
3 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.

Old Fashion Lemon Squares
1 Recipe Lemon Curd
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Cup Butter
2/3 Cup Coconut
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts (pecans/almonds)
Step 1
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda. Cut in butter until crumbly, set aside 1 1/2 cups of flour mixture.
Step 2
For crust, press remaining flour into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 min. Cool on wire rack for 10 min.
Step 3
Reduce oven to 350 degrees spread lemon curd on crust. Combine set aside flour mixture w/coconut and nuts, sprinkle over lemon curd.
Step 4
Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden, cool on wire rack and cut into squares, enjoy!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh, I'm excited about these! I can't wait to try them. I was going to make the lemon curd tonight so tomorrow I can make the bars when you post the recipe, but I only have one lemon. :(