Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup






I make really good chicken noodle soup. There I said it. It's true. It's plain and simple and just what the doctor ordered when you are feeling a little sick. Or vomiting everywhere. So today I have two sickies- one is doing the former. I was feeling so inadequate to help him, so I made soup. He's not quite ready for it yet (still trying dry toast), but his little bro (AKA, "bottomless pit"), is eating it up as I type.

Sara’s Simple Chicken Noodle Soup

(Usually I make a big pot with a whole chicken, but today I made a small batch. Below is what I did today- but it could be doubled (or tripled with a whole chicken).

1 bone in chicken breast (could used boneless if that’s all you have)
2-3 t. chicken bullion {I don' use this anymore- did you know most bullion has msg?}
1/3 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup slice celery
1/3 of a 16 oz. package of fresh fettuccine noodles, cut in 1 inch pieces {or egg noodles from the freezer section of the grocery store are even better!}

(I told you it was simple).

Cover chicken with four cold cups water. [You can add a few baby carrots, leftover onion chunks and some big pieces of celery with the leaves, but you can skip this step]. Simmer chicken for about 30 minutes. Remove chicken. Strain broth and return to pot. [Discard the veggies you added to the make the stock.] Add bullion to the broth and the sliced carrots and celery; simmer 15 minutes. Add the pasta; simmer another 7 minutes. Shred the chicken removing it from the bone and add to the soup. Salt and pepper to taste.

Notes: You can freeze the rest of the package of pasta for the next time you make this soup. During the winter I always keep fresh fettuccine in my freezer to have on hand. The fresh pasta makes all the difference. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great chicken noodle soup. I am proud of you for saying it Sara! I would have never guessed it was so easy. Thanks for the tips.

April said...

Love the fresh fettuccini noodles, I made the same thing (very similar) a couple of weeks ago and didn't have the noodles, so I made my own. They were actually pretty easy. Flour, butter, eggs, I think that was about it. And then you just roll them out let them dry a little bit and throw them in the soup for a couple of minutes! There is nothing like homemade chicken noodle soup. Sick or not sick!