Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Easy Chocolate Frosting

I am not above using a cake mix. (These cupcakes are a white cake mix with green food coloring). But I always make homemade frosting. Last night I went to make my standard Hershey's frosting (on the can of cocoa powder) when I realized I was out of cocoa powder! 

I found this easy recipe online. It is almost like a ganache- very thick and fudgy. What I love most is it was so easy- and you don't have to mess with a mixer or sifting powdered sugar. I'm not sure this recipe would be enough for a layered cake, I might double it for that. It frosted about 18 cupcakes.  As this frosting cooled, it got a little grainy. I just warmed it for 10-20 seconds in the microwave and is spread perfectly.
 
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
6 ounces choc. chips (about 1/2 bag)


Directions:
Combine all ingredients except chocolate in saucepan over medium high heat. Stir constantly until melted. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, still stirring. Remove from heat. Add in chips and stir until completely melted. Spread on cooled cake (or cupcakes).

1 comment:

April said...

Those look great! I want one!